Job Title: Director of Development Girls on the Run Hampton Roads
Learn More about Girls on the Run
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Reports To: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Exempt; Full-time
Girls on the Run Hampton Roads (GOTRHR) is a local nonprofit organization dedicated to inspire girls to be joyful, healthy, and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum that creatively integrates running. Our program creates a safe place for girls to grow in confidence through identifying and processing emotions, goal setting, cooperation, healthy decision-making, and self-respect, while improving their physical health and stamina.
GOTRHR is dedicated to being an inclusive, diverse, equitable and accessible organization. We strive to eliminate barriers to participation, to create programming that engages all communities, to be intentional about staff and volunteer diversity, and to promote a culture of inclusion across the organization. We warmly welcome the participation of any child who identifies as “girl”, non-binary, or gender expansive in our programs. We currently serve 1,800 girls per year in 14 cities and counties across Greater Hampton Roads, Western Tidewater, and Gates County, NC.
The Director of Development reports directly to the Executive Director. The ideal candidate will possess a passion for and commitment to supporting the social, emotional and physical health of girls by increasing contributed revenue for the organization. This position is an integral member of the GOTRHR team and is best suited for individuals who are strong at developing personal relationships, highly organized, and flexible in the face of the unexpected. Interested candidates should familiarize themselves with our mission, core values, and programs, as described on our website: www.gotrhr.org.
- Support the Executive Director in cultivating relationships with new and existing donors and sponsors
- Develop strategies to continually identify, cultivate and steward donors to increase and diversify philanthropic revenue sources
- Create an annual development plan for GOTRHR to support its short and long-term philanthropic objectives
- Manage a portfolio of major gift donors and prospects for the Executive Director
- Prepare written fundraising proposals and grant applications
- Work with the Executive Director to strengthen the Board of Director’s engagement in fundraising
- Assist with the cultivation and recruitment of fundraising volunteers
- Coordinate GOTRHR marketing and promotional obligations to our sponsors
- Maintain communications with radio, television, and print media
- Utilize Pinwheel CRM software to appropriately maintain donor, sponsor and volunteer data
- Represent GOTRHR at fundraising and friend-raising events and speaking engagements
- Monitor GOTR Headquarters protocols for national partnerships
Qualities and Qualifications
- 3+ of demonstrated fundraising experience in a non-profit community impact environment
- BA/BS in a related field or comparable work experience
- Passion for Girls on the Run’s mission and core values
- Strong technological proficiency to navigate an array of web-based software
- Ability to communicate effectively in person, by phone and in writing to a variety of audiences
- Ability to effectively communicate issues surrounding girl empowerment, self-esteem, body image and whole-person health.
- Availability on nights and weekends (as needed) for GOTR events, funding opportunities and ambassador engagements
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple priorities, and make efficient decisions
- Access to high-speed internet and reliable transportation
- Experience with youth development or wellness programs a plus!
- Familiarity with Greater Hampton Roads business and philanthropic communities a plus!
This is a full-time position based in Hampton Roads. The position allows for flexible remote work; however, the candidate must be locally based to provide hands-on leadership and support to our fundraising operations.
- Frequent local travel, with reimbursed mileage
- Frequent in-person and virtual meetings and events with staff and stakeholders
To support your success, you can expect:
- The opportunity to work with an engaged and motivated Board
- Strong fundraising resources support from Girls on the Run Headquarters
- A small, close knit staff that is passionate about working hard and playing hard together
- Respect for work-life balance
This is an exempt position offering a compensation range of $45,000 – $60,000 annually, commensurate with experience. In addition, Girls on the Run Hampton Roads is proud to provide access to company-paid life insurance, company-subsidized medical and self-paid dental insurance as well as IRA contribution matching. Employees accrue PTO monthly and receive 25 paid school/national/GOTR holidays each calendar year.